Overview: Garmin Astro 320 Handheld and T5 Tracking Collar.
Garmin introduces the Garmin Astro 320 with T5 Tracking Collar, the latest in dog tracking technology. It was created with the serious hunter in mind and is equipped with numerous advancements over previous collars. You can now have more accurate and constant tracking than ever before.
What’s New with the Astro 320 / T5 Combo?
Astro 320 handheld:
- Updated software for tracking the Garmin T5 collars.
- Users can also update the software on their older Astro 320 handhelds to track the T5 Garmin Tracking Collar
- For instructions on how to update your Astro, visit our How-to section “link” (needs link)
- New software to enable Rescue Mode, GLONASS and the LED beacon lights on the T5 Tracking collar
- “Rescue Mode” Initiates a battery conservation mode after the battery reaches 25% of a full charge.
- Improved GPS signal with T5
- Like the DC30, the GPS receiver is mounted on top of the collar
- Collar can track additional satellites with GLONASS enabled GPS
- Durability of braided steel core and length of the VHF antenna yields higher quality communication
- Keep close tabs on how much your dogs are barking using Bark Detection
- Simple tool-less strap replacement
- Water resistant for up to 10 meters
Key features of the Garmin Astro 320/T5 Tracking & Training Combo
- Improved Tracking: It is now less likely for your collar to lose satellite reception while hunting in heavy cover or deep canyons due to the, highly sensitive top mounted GPS module that now tracks with GLONASS. With GLONASS your collar is able to receive signals from a total of 49 earth orbiting satellites. That’s 21 more satellites than the TT10.
- Rescue Mode: This feature, if enabled by your Astro 320, increases the amount of time you have before a T5 collar battery dies. This allows more time for you to find and recover your treasured dog. As soon as the collar detects its battery has decreased to 25% of its full charge, it automatically begins to conserve its battery by changing the update rate from its preset setting to a 2 minute update. Remember, this feature must be enabled manually by the user with the Astro 320 handheld.
- Upgraded VHF Antenna: There are two antenna choices to choose from for the Garmin T5. They are the 22.5” or 18.5”. The length and flexibility of this VHF antenna with braided steel core increases range and durability. Both are included in the purchase of an Astro 320 and T5 bundle from Double U Hunting Supply.
- Quick Collar-Strap Changes: The Garmin T5 uses the same collar strap design as the Garmin Alpha TT10, and Astro DC50 collars. It is quick and easy to switch out collar straps with no tools needed. Just slide your favorite colored collar straps through the integral channels on the Garmin T5. All universal 1 inch D-ring collar straps or even the TriTronics EXP straps can be put on your GPS dog tracking collar in seconds. We have also put a training unit like the TriTronics EXP on the same strap as the T5 with ease. This eliminates excessive collars on your dog.
- Improved Charging Port: The T5 charging port comes standard with a USB interface. This presents 3 different ways to charge the collar: an AC outlet, a vehicle charge port, or the USB port on a computer. The ability to plug it right into a computer is convenient when your T5 tracking collar needs a software update. All that’s required for an update is to attach the charging clip, plug the T5 dog tracking collar into a computer and run Garmin Web Updater.
- Helpful Tone Indicator: An appreciated difference from previous collars is that a tone will sound when adding a collar to your handheld. This confirms you’ve added the correct collar when there are other collars close by. For most of the settings on your T5 the handheld will tone when the setting has successfully been changed. For example: when you change dog type to “treeing dog” your T5 will beep to let you know you have successful completed the task.
- Private PIN Lock: While linked to an Astro 320 users can choose a 4 digit code for each T5 tracking collar. This code must be entered before someone else can track that T5 collar. It may not seem crucial during a normal day to day hunt but could prove priceless while competition hunting, or hunting with or around large hunting groups.
- Adjustable Dog Status: Using the updated Astro 320, you can change the status for each of your dogs wearing a T5 to reflect what they’re doing. Your options are 1) Pointing, 2) Treeing, 3) Auto, and 4) None. This lets your Astro know that when your dog is sitting idle he or she could be on point or have game treed.
- Smarter Power Button Placement: The location of the power button is very important; we often see both the DC30 and DC40 with wear on the rubber cover that seals the power button. This makes it very easy for moisture to get into and cause corrosion in the collar, eventually causing damage that sometimes cannot be repaired. The power button on the T5 Garmin Tracking collar is located on the bottom of the collar box which protects from this every day wear and tear. This also prevents the collar from being accidentally turned off when struck by something on a hunt.
- Protective Antenna Sleeve: The T5’s antenna sleeve protects your antenna from wear and tear but also keeps it erect while still receiving satellite signals. This thick rubber sleeve will have you saying good-bye to zip ties and electrical tape and hello to an easy to clean and durable antenna that stays upright without all the trouble.
- Track 10 Dogs: On your Astro 320, you are able to track a total of 10 collars at the same time.
- Wireless Collar Updates: The Astro 320 makes it easy to update collar software on the go. This enables you to execute some trouble shooting even when you are in the field.
- Basecamp: The Garmin Astros’s USB port makes it easy to plug it right into your laptop. Using Basecamp, you can track your dogs on your laptop screen instead of the handheld screen. This can be especially convenient when hunting out of your truck, allowing the use a larger screen.
- Covey Counter: Record the specific location of conveys. You can also record the birds in a covey and the number of birds taken from the covey using waypoints.
Product Review Summary: Astro 320 with T5 Combo
Overview: Garmin T5 Tracking Collar, Sometimes Referred to as the Garmin Astro T5 collar.
Garmin T5 collar Pro Staff Quick Product Review
Garmin has recently released the Garmin T5 and TT15 collar, the most notable difference and improvement for the T5 is the ability for the T5 to be tracked as a “track only” collar for the Alpha 100. Also it should be noted that the features and configuration for the T5 Tracking collar were selected for the competition hunter in mind. You will notice that some of the features for example Bark Detection were eliminated on the T5 to comply with competition rules.
- During our time in the field this collar proved to be dependable and reliable.
- Peace of mind knowing the T5 collar is tracking with GLONASS.
- Having a collar that can be tracked on my Alpha 100 without stimulation prongs that can, and have, created irritation to at least one of our smaller sized dog’s neck while hunting in heavy brush.
- Rescue battery life with rescue mode allows me to focus on what matters, my dog not how much battery life I have left on my collar.
- @ 249.99 The T5 collar price is higher than it’s predecessor.
- The T5 was designed for Competition Hunters needs in mind, which means there are some features that are disabled that a Pleasure hunter would appreciate. For example the T5 Does not have Bark detection.
- The battery life on the T5 is slightly lower than the DC50.
T5 vs. DC40—Why Upgrade?
There are a couple major reasons why you would want to upgrade to the Garmin T5. First is the greatly improved satellite reception you’ll enjoy: one of the most significant improvements in the T5 is its top-mounted GPS receiver and antenna, which assure quicker satellite acquisition and more consistent satellite connections when your dogs are in heavy cover out in the field. In addition Garmin has enabled the GLONASS system of satellites for your T5 and updated Astro 320. This enables you to receive signals from 21 more satellites helping to pinpoint your location that of your dog.
Thanks to Rescue Mode, a great new feature with the T5, you’ll also enjoy the “peace of mind” knowing you have longer battery life than with the DC30 or DC40 dog tracking collars. Rescue Mode was first introduced in 2012 on Garmin’s top-line Alpha TT10 collars. Basically, it slows the collar update rate from once every 5, 10, or 30 seconds to once every 2 minutes to conserve battery life after your T5 battery has diminished to 25% of its full capacity. Having extra time could be critical when attempting to recover a wayward hound.
Another critical improvement in the T5 over the DC40 dog tracking collar is the longer braided steel antenna. The design and construction of this VHF long-range antenna provides up to 30% more tracking range than you get with the DC40. The T5 antenna is also much more durable and less prone to damage than the copper-wound stubby antennas on the DC40 and DC30 GPS tracking collars.
Lastly, some of the finer performance details that separate the T5 from its predecessors include its versatile, user-friendly charging system and beep-tones that confirm when you add collars or change settings on the T5 dog tracking collar.
Garmin Astro 320 Features and Details
- Uses HotFix® and a high sensitivity receiver to acquire satellites
- Allows you to adjust your dog's track length
- Zooms in (and out) quickly to find your dog
- Side power button location
- 1.7 GB of internal memory
- Tracks up to 10 dogs simultaneously
- Up to 9 miles of handheld-to-collar reception (line of sight)
- MURS frequency band
- Compatible with Garmin’s Birdseye Satellite Imagery, high-resolution TOPO maps, and more
- Wireless field software updating
- Tracks 10,000 points of information per dog, ensuring your records are accurate no matter how long you are out
- Uses a universally accepted GPX file format to store all of your data
- Includes a keypad lock to stop accidental key presses
- Allows you to switch profiles - hunting, recreational, automotive, marine, geocaching, fitness, etc. - quickly so you won't miss a beat once you're done hunting
- Debuts innovative features like enhanced map drawing capabilities, vibration-based alerts and a 3-axis electronic compass
- Features legendary toughness that’s built to withstand the elements – be it dust, dirt, humidity or water
- Marks your exact spot with Covey Counter™, a special waypoint that tells you the exact location, time of day and elevation where you found your prey
- Saves other "special" waypoints, such as "Truck" and "Lodge" as well as waypoint icons to represent food plots, tree stands and other hunting-related points
- Screen size: 1.43” x 2.15”
- 160 x 240 pixel, transflective 65-K color touch-screen display
- Weight: 9.2 oz with 2 AA batteries
- 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended
- Battery life: up to 20 hrs with AA batteries (not included)
- IPX7 waterproofing (withstands immersion in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
- Tilt-compensated 3-axis electronic compass and barometric altimeter
- Data-card compatibility: accepts MicroSD card (not included)
- USB interface
- Stores 2000 waypoints or locations, and 200 routes
- Track log: records 10,000 points and 200 saved tracks
- Area calculation capable
T5 Tracking & Training Collar Features:
- T5 Collar can be configured to work with either the Garmin Astro or the Garmin Alpha
- Top-mounted, high sensitivity, GLONASS-enabled satellite receiver
- 22.5” braided-steel antenna, with 18.5” antenna available as an option
- User-configurable Rescue Mode to extend battery life
- Updates dog positions every 5, 10, 30, or 120 seconds
- Easy-to-replace 27”x1” collar strap (no tools needed)
- Extreme waterproofing (up to 10 meters, or ~33 feet)
- Rechargeable, replaceable Lithium Ion Battery
Batteries and Battery Life
Garmin Astro 320 GPS Handheld:
- Using two AA batteries (not included), the battery life of the Astro 320 can last up to 20 hours. This can be prolonged by using the vehicle charge port so that your handheld will rely on your car’s battery instead. In any case we recommend using rechargeable AA batteries for the Astro.
Garmin T5 GPS Tracking Collar:
- With rescue mode on, the T5 has around a 30 hour battery life. Here’s how:
- 5 second update rate means around 13 hours (before battery reaches 25%)
- When battery reaches 25%, rescue mode changes the update rate to 2 minutes
- 2 minute update rate means about 16 additional hours
- Total: approximately 30 hours.
Update Rates/PIN Lock
This combo allows you to control your battery life with features that change the update rate. With the Astro 320/T5 combo, you can choose whether the collar is updated every 5, 10, 30, or 120 seconds. This enables you to adjust it depending upon your personal preference. Additionally, there is Rescue Mode; this feature helps conserve your collar battery after a long day. If the battery life of a collar drops below 25%, rescue mode grants you plenty of extra time to locate your dog before the battery dies.
For the times you might not want other people in the field to track your dogs, PIN Lock is very helpful. With it, you keep others from seeing your dog on their handheld. How it works is you assign a 4 digit code to each dog’s collar and then for anyone to view your dog, they must first enter that dog’s code. If your hunting partner wants to track one of your dogs you can simply give them the code. This function is not required and can be turned off at any time you feel it is unnecessary.
Use Your Versatile Astro 320 for Other Types of Hunting and Recreation!
The Astro 320 is not only proficient for tracking and managing dogs, but also is an exceptional tool in other recreational activities. The Astro can function like any other Garmin GPS when it is not being used to track dogs. It can also be convenient for hiking, camping, geocaching, and deer or elk hunting. Simply take off the VHF antenna and cap the SMA connector to create a portable and fully operative GPS complete with many of the high end functions of other Outdoor GPS devices.
What’s in the Box for the Astro 320/T5 Combo?
- Garmin Astro 320 GPS Handheld Receiver
- Garmin T5 GPS Dog Tracking Collar
- AC Charger to Charge the Garmin T5 Tracking Collar
- 12 volt DC charger to Charge the T5 Tracking collar.
- The 12VDC adaptor can also be used to power the 320 handheld while in a vehicle.
- Pigtail clip chargers for the Garmin T5 Collar.
- Garmin factory USB Cable to connect the Collar and Receiver to a computer for Software updates
- Extended Range Antenna for the Astro 320 Receiver
- Belt Clip for the Astro 320 handheld.
- Comes with Two Antenna’s for the Garmin T5 Communication. (22.5 inch and 18 inch)
- Garmin Astro Owner’s Manual
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I order the T-5 in a Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle?
A: No, the T-5 Garmin Tracking Collar will not be available in a bundle with the Alpha 100. However, the Astro 320 T5 Combo is available.
Q: How many dogs can I track using the Garmin Astro 320 T5 Combo?
A: With your new Garmin Astro 320 T5 Bundle you have the capability to track up to 10 dogs.
Q: Does the Garmin Astro Bundle include both a long and short range antenna for the T5 dog tracking collar?
A: Yes, included with the Astro 320 Combo are both the 22.5 inch and 18 inch antennas.
Astro 320 with T5 Combo
T5 Collar Beacon Lights
Astro T5 VHF Antenna
Garmin T5 Recessed Power Button
Astro T5 Charging Clip
Garmin Astro T5 GPS Antenna
Garmin Astro T5 Tracking Collar
Garmin Astro 320
Astro 320 Battery
Garmin Astro 320 Battery Port
Astro 320 Batteries
Astro 320 Unit
Astro 320 Long Range Antenna
Garmin Astro 320 Side
Garmin Astro 320 Back Plate
Astro 320 Buttons
T5 Tracking Collars
Garmin T5 Charging Port
Astro T5 Collar
Garmin Astro Collar
Astro 320 T5 Collar
Garmin Astro 320 T5 Combo
Garmin Astro T5 Bundle
Garmin Astro T5 Tracking Collat
Garmin T5 Combo
Garmin Astro Auto Adapter
T5 Charging Clip
Short Astro 320 Antenna
Astro USB Cable
Garmin Astro AC Adapter
Astro 320 Belt Clip
Garmin Astro Quick Release Belt Clip
T5 VHF Antenna
Astro Extended Range Antenna
Garmin Astro 320 T5 Combo
Garmin® Astro 320 and T5 Combo
You may also be interested in the following product(s)