Garmin Mini TT15 GPS Track and Train Collar
Garmin Alpha TT15 Mini tracking & training collar overview.
NOTE: The Garmin Mini TT15 is capable of tracking on both the Astro 320 as well as the Alpha 100 (but not simultaneously). In order to track the TT15 Mini be sure to update your Garmin Astro 320 as and Alpha 100 software for best performance. This can be achieved easily by downloading and running Garmin Web Updater or Garmin Express.
What’s new with the Garmin Mini TT15?
- NEW! Smaller size to fit dogs 15-50 lbs.
- ¾” collar strap fits dogs with neck size 9.5”-14”
- Lighter weight at 7.5 oz.
- NEW! Sleep Mode allows you to conserve battery life while collar is not in direct use.
- The Garmin TT15 Mini Compatibility allows you to track on either Astro or Alpha systems
- Mini TT15 Training! The Garmin TT15 Mini has 18 stim levels as well as tone and vibrate.
- Rescue Mode switches to a battery conserving 2 minute update once 75% of the Mini TT15’s battery is depleted.
- Remotely operated LED beacon lights
- 18 ½ inch Steel cable antenna, range up to 4 miles
- Top mounted GPS antenna we have come to expect on Garmin tracking collars
- The GLONASS enabled Alpha TT15 Mini collar helps triangulate your dogs position by doubling the amount of satellites available.
- Bark Detection on the Garmin Mini TT15 lets you know the real time frequency in which your dog is barking while in the field.
- Remotely control Garmin Virb Camera with Alpha 100 only
- Easy changes of collar straps without the need for tools
- Waterproof up to 10 meters
Important Notes for Users who already own a Alpha 100 and Astro 320 handheld:
- TT15 Mini will track on either the Alpha 100 or the Astro 320 independently but not simultaneously.
- Users can update the software on an older Alpha 100 and Astro 320 handhelds to track the Mini TT15.
- To learn how to update your Alpha or Astro, visit our How-to Section “link” (needs link)
Product Review Summary: Garmin TT15 Mini Collar
Read our Full TT15 mini Product Review
Buddy’s Review Summary:
All in all these Garmin Mini GPS collars are big on performance and features. They have all the features of their full sized brothers (TT15 and T5) packed into a small casing for a small dog. Performance was every bit as good as a full size collar. I would not hesitate to put these collars on my full size dogs and go hunt for big game. The Big Game hunters will find one of these collars handy to use on their smaller pups who haven’t fit a full size collar yet. We all know how frustrating it is when those younger dogs start to click while they are too small for a collar. Personally as more of a big game hunter, I was able to get a lot of use with this collar on my 3 month old pup while we spent time in the woods smelling and working on basic training next to the Big hounds. I try to walk in my young pups at every opportunity. I feel it’s really good to have experiences in the woods with me and the older dogs. It has been very comforting having the "piece of mind" that I wouldn’t lose my young pup who was started to get brave and wander into the forest further and further. Previous to this Mini collar you were always asking "where’s the pup"; so while this collar is a great fit for the beagles, terriers, and feists. I think even the big game guys who consistently have a young prospect on the ground will find it just as useful to have one or two of these mini :collars in their bag of gear. I know I do.
Key features of the Garmin Mini TT 15 Tracking & Training GPS Collar
- Smaller Size: Designed for dogs 15-50 lbs, the TT15 Mini is designed to properly fit a wide range of neck sizes, ranging from a tiny 9.5 inch neck to up to a 14 inch neck. Weighing a mere 7.5 oz makes is definitely a winner for the Beagle and other small dog hunters.The shorter profile collar housing and tighter fitting 3/4" strap, should eliminate sizing issues and knee banging problems people were having with the standard size collars.
- Sleep Mode: When the Mini TT15 is turned to Sleep Mode, it will no longer transmit information back to the handheld unit, thus conserving battery life. However, the collar will still be in connection with satellites. This allows the collar to immediately start transmitting its position when Sleep Mode it turned off. One major benefit to the sleep mode is being able to sleep the collar while the dogs are in or on the box while traveling and being able to wake them up when the dogs are turned out in the field. It should be noted that the Sleep Mode is only available when linked to an Alpha 100.
- Training: The Garmin Mini TT15 Track and Train collar has an on board Tri Tronics technology training system on board Tri Tronics technology with 18 levels of stimulation. Along with momentary and continuous stimulation the TT15 Mini has a tone and vibrate mode.
- Stimulation Levels:18 levels of Stimulation that can be laid out in either linear (1-18) or traditional (1-6 high, medium, low)
- Continuous or momentary stimulation modes allows the user to control the time the collar stimulates, or in momentary mode it will give a 1/2 Second burst of stimulation.
- Tone: Ability to use an audible tone when non-shock stimulation is needed. It is a great tool to communicate with the dog without creating negative reinforcement.
- Vibrate: One of our favorite training features on the Garmin Mini TT15 Tracking collar is vibrate mode. It allows the user to correct a dogs behavior without using electronic stimulation or without alerting other dogs of the correction.
- Better Tracking: The high-sensitivity, top-mounted GPS receiver is able to receive signals from GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) satellites. This adds 21 additional satellites which your TT15 Mini collar can aquire a GPS Fix. (in addition to the 28 satellites currently in the US GPS system); this will help cut down on dropping satellite connection while hunting in rugged conditions.
- Bark Detection: When the bark detection is activated on your TT15 Mini you will see the rate of which your individual dog is barking even when they are too far away to physically hear your dog bark. A bark scale can be displayed on both the map and compass screen, but can also be set to the compass screen only to reduce the clutter on your map screen. Users can also set a minimum bark per minute (20, 40, 60, and 80 BPM) once your dog starts barking at the chosen rate, your TT15 Mini with your Alpha 100 or Astro 320 will send you an alert. This is a handy tool when your dogs are out of hearing range and you are trying to decipher whether the dogs are trailing or have the critter jumped or treed.
- Rescue Mode: Rescue Mode is the second power saving feature on the Garmin TT15 Mini and has become a staple feature with Garmin GPS Dog tracking collars. When activated, once a Mini TT15 collar battery drains down 75% of its power Rescue Mode automatically turns the update rate down to 120 second (2 min). This allows for many additional hours of battery life to “hopefully” retrieve your dog. You can also turn this mode off if you wish not to use it.
- VHF Antenna: The Garmin TT15 Mini comes with a more durable and flexible stainless steel cable antenna measuring 18.5”for accommodating shorter legged dogs.
- Tracking Distance and Range: The manufacturers listed range for the Mini TT15 is 4 miles, in our personal experience we have experienced the Mini collars track as well as the standard TT15 GPS collars. Effective Tracking distance really depends on the terrain and conditions, Users should expect between 1 and 4 miles distances.
- Fast Collar-strap Changes: Successfully modeled after previous Garmin tracking collars, the collar straps on the Mini TT15 easily slide right through the channels on the TT15 Mini box, making swapping collars quick and easy. All 3/4 inch universal straps will fit the Mini TT15 Dog Tracking collar. Pick from any one of the 25 different colors provided exclusively from Double U. Order these TT15 Mini Replacement Straps Separately (# of colors we will provide is subject to change before release. Also needs link)
- USB Charging Port clip: the USB interfaced charging port allows 3 different charging options AC outlet, a vehicle charging port and USB port on a computer or USB port multi charger (LINK).
- Collar updates are done by directly connecting to the USB clip to a computer that has the free Garmin software downloaded to its hard drive. This is especially handy when it’s time to run a software update on your collar; all you have to do is attach the charging clip, plug your Mini TT15 into your computer, and run the Garmin Web Updater.
Track and Train Codes: (When linked to an Alpha 100) When sharing the TT 15 Mini with another hunter the owner can give the other user either a Track code or a Train code. These codes can be found on the collar’s show info page and are a fixed code that is permanently attached to an individual collar, they cannot be changed.
- Track Code: Sharing the Mini TT15 , the Track Code will only allow the other users to track the dog wearing the collar but have no training function for that dog whatsoever.
- Train Code: If you want to share your TT15 Mini with another hunter and want them to be able to both track and train your dog you can give them the Train Code which will give them full access to that dog in both tracking and training.
- Exclusive PIN Lock: (When linked to an Astro 320) Users can enter a 4- digit code to “lockout” other people from tracking the Mini TT 15 wirelessly. This feature could come to be very useful to those who hunt in large groups and hunt in competitions.
- Adjustable Dog Type: Using the updated Alpha 100 or Astro 320, you can change each of your individual dog’s status to best reflect what they are doing. Your options are 1) Pointing, 2) Treeing, 3) Auto, and 4) None. This lets your Alpha or Astro know that when your dog is sitting still, he or she could still be on point or have game treed.
- Better Power Button Placement: The power button is located at the bottom of the collar, under the dogs chin which keeps it from getting damaged.
- Antenna Protection Sleeve: With the TT15 Mini, you’ll never have to use zip ties or tape to secure an antenna again. The new Mini TT15 comes with a thick, durable rubber cover sleeve that keeps the VHF antenna erect and receiving communication signals. Along with the rest of the collar, it’s extremely durable and easy to clean.
- Camera Control: When using with the Alpha 100, the TT15 Mini is capable of controlling the Garmin Virb Action camera.
Unit dimensions and Specifications
Unit dimensions (WxHxD): 3.1” x 1.8” x 1.4” (7.8 x 4.5 x 3.5 cm)
Weight: Transmitter and antenna (w/o collar) = 5.6 oz (158 g)
Total weight (w/ collar) = 7.5 oz (212 g)
Battery: 16-30 hours
rechargeable lithium-ion pack (included)
Water rating: 1ATM (10 meters)2
Neck circumference: 9.5” to 14” (24 to 35.5 cm)
Compatible collar straps: 3/4” (1.9 cm)
Mini TT15 Batteries and Battery Life
Due to the size constraints of the Garmin TT15 Mini, the lithium ion battery used in this tracking collar is smaller than the standard size collar. Battery life should be anywhere between 16-30 hours per charge. Battery life can be maximized by utilizing the Rescue Mode feature and using Sleep Mode when opportunity rises.
Update Rates for the Garmin Mini TT15
What are the Update rates using the Garmin TT15 Mini as an Alpha Mini TT15 tracking Collar?: When using the TT15 Mini with the Alpha 100 you have update rates of (2.5, 5, 10, 30, 120) seconds.
What are the Update rates when using the Garmin Mini TT15 collar as an Astro TT15 Mini: While tracking the Mini TT15 with an Astro 320 it will have the standard 5, 10, 30, 120 second updates.
Astro Mode PIN Lock is an access code you can assign each collar to prevent anyone else from tracking your dog either on purpose or by mistake. To use it, simply assign a 4-digit code to each of your collars with your Astro 320 handheld; this will prevent your collars from showing on any other Astro 320.
When using and tracking with the Alpha 100 the codes are automatically assigned. When on the Dog Info Screen you have two options, you’ll have a Train Code or a Track code:
Train Code: Giving this code to another Alpha 100 will allow Full permissions for the Alpha TT15 Mini collar. Any user you give the Train Code to can track your dogs, train your dogs, turn off or on, change the update rate of the collar, and change the ID number of the collar. With the Train code it basically gives 100% permission to do anything you are able to do.
Track Code: If you would like to allow your friends to track your dogs, without the ability to correct or change the settings, you can simply give them your 6-digit track code for them to input on their Garmin Alpha. This allows the user to only track your Garmin Mini TT15 or T5 Mini collar, the user will not have any permission to use any training features, or change settings on the collar.
What’s in the Box for the Alpha TT15 Mini?
- Mini TT15 transmitter with a 18.5" antenna attached to a 3/4" Red collar
- AC charging adapter
- Vehicle charging adapter
- Charging cable
- Charging clip
- Quick start manual
- Long and short stimulation prongs
Frequently Asked Questions Garmin Alpha TT15 Mini GPS Tracking Collars.
Information from the Garmin's website: